The US President Donald Trump is, however, ready to send 120,000 troops to the Middle East in case of attack by Iranian forces.
A war with Iran? Donald Trump does not get ready … For now. On Tuesday, the US president denied any plans to send 120,000 troops to the Middle East to counter Tehran in case of attack or acceleration of its nuclear program, a hypothesis mentioned the day before by the New York Times.
“Would I do it? Absolutely. But we did not plan it. Hope we do not have to plan it. If we had to do it, we would send many more men than that, “he told reporters at the White House. “Where was this story in the New York Times? Well, it’s infox, “he said.
- Plan presented at meeting, according to the Times
On Monday night, the daily reported that the US Defense Minister Patrick Shanahan, last week at a meeting with Donald Trump’s national security advisers, presented a plan that up to $ 120,000 Men could be sent to the Middle East if Iran attacked US forces.
The plan, which is only at a preliminary stage according to the newspaper, does not call for a ground invasion and the number mentioned is the highest of the range considered, says the New York Times. Donald Trump again warned Iran on Monday against any action against US interests.
- Exacerbated tensions
The already tense relations between Washington and Tehran have escalated for a week.