France and Italy joint appeal for an immediate truce in Libya

France and Italy joint appeal for an immediate truce in Libya

worldwide

France and Italy on Monday posted a common front on the situation in Libya, the foreign ministers of both countries calling for an immediate ceasefire in a joint statement issued by the Quai d’Orsay.

“We recall the importance of an immediate cease-fire and the resumption of dialogue as part of the UN-led process,” said Jean-Yves Le Drian and his Italian counterpart Enzo Moavero Milanesi in a joint statement.

“The stabilization of the situation in Libya is an issue for regional and European security, as well as for the control of migratory flows,” they underline.

The two ministers, who met on the occasion of the meeting of the Foreign Affairs Council of the Twenty-Eight in Brussels, said they had “had a very positive and productive exchange, which confirmed (their) convergence of views on the subjects International “.

These statements come as the last weeks have been marked by tensions between Paris and Rome over the situation in the former Italian colony.

Libya is now divided in two, between the Libyan national unity government (GNA), which sits in Tripoli, and a parallel government, supported by Khalifa Haftar, who heads the country’s east and has recently expanded his control over South.

Italy, a former colonial power, is a major player in the Libyan oil industry and supports the GNA.

France, which also has oil assets in eastern Libya, is accused of supporting Marshal Haftar, a key player in the fight against terrorism.

Emmanuel Macron, who last week received Libyan Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj, had already called for an unconditional truce in Libya. The leader of the GNA had invited France to “take a clearer position” in the future.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *