Indonesia more than 380 dead after earthquake and tsunami

Indonesia: more than 380 dead after earthquake and tsunami

worldwide

Indonesia: the provisional assessment of the earthquake and tsunami that occurred Friday in the city of Palu, on the Indonesian island of Celebes, is 384 dead and hundreds wounded, said Saturday the disaster management agency.

Indonesia begins to take stock of the disaster that struck Friday the city of Palu, on the island of Celebes. After a 7.5 magnitude earthquake, a wave of nearly 2 meters swept through the city, killing hundreds.

After announcing a first assessment of 48 dead on Saturday morning, the disaster management agency has revised this figure upwards: the balance now reports 384 dead and 540 injured. Unfortunately, it is likely to get worse as local hospitals struggle to cope with this emergency.

“We believe that dozens or hundreds (of victims) have not yet been cleared of rubble.

The main shopping center of Palu (…) has collapsed. (…) The hotel Rua-Rua (…) has collapsed, it had 80 rooms including 76 were occupied, “said Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman for the disaster management agency.

Palu, a city of 350,000 inhabitants, was 80 kilometers from the epicenter of the earthquake. The latter has destroyed many buildings, according to Indonesian authorities. It was followed by a 2-meter tsunami, which flooded several buildings and flooded a mosque, while the tsunami warning was lifted.

Indonesia had already been hit in August by a series of earthquakes that left more than 500 people dead and about 1,500 wounded on the island of Lombok, neighboring Bali. In December 2004, a tsunami following an earthquake in the Sumatra region killed 220,000 people in the region, including 168,000 in Indonesia alone.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *