The Saudi General Attorney has demanded the death penalty for five of the 11 suspects accused of murdering journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the opening Thursday of their trial in a criminal court in Riyadh.
The 11 suspects appeared in the presence of their lawyers, according to a statement from the Attorney General issued by the official SPA agency.
Jamal Khashoggi, who worked with the Washington Post, was killed on October 2 by Saudi agents at the Kingdom’s consulate in Istanbul.
The lawyers for the suspects asked to see the exact charges against their clients and a delay to study them.
The court granted their requests without setting a date for the next hearing, the statement said.
The Saudi prosecutor said that his two requests to the Turkish authorities for information on this case have remained unanswered.
The murder of the Saudi editorialist, critic of power in Riyadh, had a global impact.
After a time denying the journalist’s death, Ryad eventually explained that he had been killed during a “state-out-of-control” operation overseen by two top officials who have been dismissed since.
But Ankara has accused the “highest levels” of the Saudi state. Turkish and American media, as well as the CIA, suspect Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of having himself sponsored the operation against Jamal Khashoggi.
Turkey has requested the extradition of 18 Saudis arrested in their country and suspected of involvement in the murder.
But Saudi Arabia responded that there was no question of extraditing Saudi citizens to Turkey by saying that suspects would be tried in their country.