Managua (AFP) – A Nicaraguan human rights organization on Thursday urged President Daniel Ortega to dismantle paramilitary groups accused of “kidnapping, torturing, murdering” and “terrorizing” the population.
“If it is true, as President Ortega asserted,” that these groups “do not belong to the government, that it is involved in guaranteeing the right to the security of citizens”, asked when a press conference Alvaro Leiva, secretary of the Nicaraguan Association for Human Rights (ANPDH).
President Ortega denied Monday in an interview with Fox News, the US, to control the pro-government paramilitaries who were seen acting alongside the police.
On the contrary, he accused political groups of leading anti-government militias, which he said killed “dozens” of police officers during the unrest.
Mr. Leiva assured Thursday that there was “a sufficient amount of evidence that says otherwise”. “Currently, citizens are terrorized, they feel helpless and helpless” in the face of “unauthorized armed groups” who “kidnap, torture and murder,” denounced the NGO official.
According to a recent report by the ANPDH, demonstrations against the government of President Daniel Ortega have so far 448 dead. A figure that differs from that of the Nicaraguan Center for Human Rights (Cenidh), whose last balance sheet amounts to 301 deaths.
The protest, launched on April 18 against a retirement reform that has since been abandoned, quickly spread to denounce the confiscation of power by the 72-year-old former guerrilla.
Daniel Ortega is accused of having set up with his wife Rosario Murillo, who occupies the office of vice-president, a dictatorship marked by corruption and nepotism.
He dismissed Monday any idea of resignation, in the interview with Fox News, saying he expected to go to the end of his term in 2021, while the street continues to demand his resignation after three months of violence