A proposal for a peace agreement in Afghanistan, involving the break-up between Taliban and al-Qaeda, would allow the withdrawal of thousands of US soldiers, said Thursday several media.
According to the Washington Post, a first peace agreement is expected to reduce the number of US troops on the spot to 8,000, up from 14,000 currently. The Taliban would commit to a ceasefire and sever all ties with the jihadist Al Qaeda group.
“I think we have reached 80 or 90% (of an agreement),” said a US official. “But the road is still long for the remaining 10 to 20%”.
According to Fox News, the agreement includes a peace negotiation between the Taliban and the Afghan government.
The Taliban have so far steadfastly refused to discuss with the government of Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, which they consider illegitimate, except for a recent meeting at which government representatives had participated “in a personal capacity”.
A new meeting between the Americans and the Taliban will soon be held in Doha, Qatar after a previous round of negotiations on July 8.
The Taliban and various senior Afghan officials then concluded their political dialogue by pledging to establish a “road map for peace” in Afghanistan.
The withdrawal from Afghanistan is one of the campaign promises of candidate Donald Trump.